You simply have to try these Homemade Tortilla Chips! They are just so addictive and have amazing crunch to them. These really do make the store-bought kind taste like cardboard.
My step-mom Kay introduced me to these delicious chips at her house one day. I literally could not believe how easy they were! I love the shortcut hack of using soft corn tortillas you can buy at the store. You must use the ones made from corn – the flour tortillas won’t work the same!
Dipping these crunchy babies into guacamole is like a non-stop snack attack. It is extremely difficult to stop. And having them freshly made, still warm? Words can’t even describe how good they are! I literally can not have the supermarket kind now after trying these. And we all know how delicious those are, so imagine in your mind increasing the more-ishness by 100x and you are coming close to describing these.
These chips would be delicious alongside a Mexican feast. My favourite salsa is Pico de Gallo, which is a fresh concoction of chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeño and cilantro. Its just so fresh and light.
Here is your recipe for Homemade Tortilla Chips:
- 1 package of soft corn tortillas
- 5 tbsp frying oil
- sea salt
- Heat your oil in a large wok.
- Using some scissors, cut the corn tortillas into quarters.
- When the oil is hot enough that it sizzles when a chip is inserted, fry them in batches of about 5 at a time.
- Let cook for 1 minute, then turn over and cook for another minute on the other side.
- Take out when golden brown, drain on a paper towel and sprinkle each layer of chips immediately with a little sea salt.
A wok is the perfect size for frying and not using too much oil! It has a deep well and lots of space, but not as big as a frying pan which would take so much more oil!