I think that if you looked up the word ‘tasty’ in the dictionary, a picture of this Mexican Street Corn should come up. There is something so lip smacking about sweet corn and salty feta cheese in combination with fresh herbs and smoky paprika. And of course the all important splash of fresh lime juice. All hail elotes!
To make this yummy side dish, you only need a few ingredients and the process is pretty simple. Peel back the skins from the corn and dispose of the silks. Keep the husks attached so you can have a handle to hold the corn. Wrap one of the husks around the other and tuck in so it stays. This reminded me of doing my dolls hair when I was a little girl! Cook these on a BBQ or hot griddle pan for 10-15 minutes until charred. I turned mine 4 times to cover all sides.
Once off of the heat, turn to coat in the butter. You can see I took the time to have a nice cocktail while I did this work! That’s an Aperol Spritz, by the way. My go-to drink of the summer!
Sprinkle the buttered corn with feta, herbs and lots of fresh lime juice. Then finish with the smoked paprika and a pinch of chili (to taste). Taste bud heaven!
This side dish is perfect for a summer barbecue – everyone will rave about it! There is something so yummy about eating corn on the cob, But if it feels too messy, just simply cut the kernels and toppings off with a sharp knife and make a Mexican Street Corn Salad – I did this and literally could not stop eating it!
Here is your recipe for Mexican Grilled Street Corn:
- 4 ears of corn, large
- 4 tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- ½ block (about 125g) feta cheese
- handful coriander (cilantro)
- small handful mint leaves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat a BBQ or large pan. Peel back the husks from the corn but leave attached. Dispose of the silks.
- Rub 1 tbsp of the butter all over the corn and place on the grill. Cook for around 10-15 minutes, turning 4 times to char all sides.
- Chop the cilantro and mint and crumble the feta mix together and set aside.
- Once off the heat, roll in the remaining butter and set on a platter. Sprinkle over the feta and herb mixture and lightly pat on all sides, so it sticks to the corn.
- Sprinkle over the paprika and chili powder and squeeze the lime all over