These cheesy chicken and quinoa burgers are very versatile. They could be used as a main course served on top of salad, as actual burgers in buns with all the trimmings, they could be a lovely appetiser for guests, or they could be given to babies and toddlers as healthy finger food snack. Conveniently uses chicken from a roast (rotisserie) chicken but anything could be added to preference.
Quinoa is a nice rice or couscous alternative, being as it is a whole food grain and low GI. Its nice on its own as an accompaniment, but there is so much more it can be used for. I started experimenting with cooking it twice with this Roasted Root Vegetable Hash recipe. What I discovered is that it becomes something entirely different when fried. The texture goes crunchy at the edges and with chewy bits all at the same time. And when combined with the savoury melted cheese in this recipe, you just want to eat the whole lot!
These burgers are great for using up leftovers or odds and ends of veggies you have in the fridge. I had some roast chicken I wanted to use, but not enough to make a meal on its own, so combining it with the quinoa was the perfect solution. They also work well for picky eaters, as you can finely chop and hide whatever vegetables you like inside!
Here is your quinoa recipe:
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked (1.5 cup uncooked)
- 1 cup leftover roast chicken, shredded
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let mixture sit in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Take a large handful of the mixture and pack together with your hands like you are making a snow ball. Repeat until you have used all the quinoa mixture.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place the balls into the pan one by one and then press down with your spatula to make a patty.
- Fry the patties for 5 minutes a side. No need to turn other than once so you can build up that yummy quinoa crust and colour.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used up.