I was trying to explain this American-style shredded chicken avocado salad to my husband. The best explanation I could come up with was that it was for ladies that lunch. But actually its seen around even more than that: buffet spreads, birthday parties, baby showers and more.
There are many different versions of this salad. Some have chopped nuts, some have fresh herbs, some versions are kept very chunky while others prefer almost a pate consistency. In the south, it would likely have chopped grapes in it, but I don’t think that would suit the taste of Sydney-siders. So I decided to go for the most obvious option: avocado! This version, chicken avocado salad has totally surpassed the other one in my opinion.
Eat this on sourdough toast, in sandwiches, on crackers, on top of salad leaves or just by the spoonful.This is a great lunch box snack, rolled in flour tortillas or just on it own with carrot and cucumber sticks. This recipe was featured in this article: 6 Healthy Office Lunch Recipes. Nice!
- meat from ½ rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped.
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons greek yoghurt
- Salt and pepper
- Place the chicken, celery, onion and avocado in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the avocado (stops from turning brown).
- Add the mayo and yoghurt , season well with salt and pepper and gently fold everything together to incorporate.