This is a delicious salad with only a few ingredients that create the best flavor. Sweet corn, salty feta, juicy cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. I wanted to try out charring the corn indoors rather than on a barbecue and it worked really nicely in a large frying pan. It really is worth it to do the charring step rather than just boil the corn because the dark marks look so pretty and add a lovely toasted flavour to the finished dish.
I made this during a trip home to America, and it was the first thing I truly felt like cooking after a first week of getting over the jet lag and exhaustion from travelling with two little ones on my own from Australia.
Whenever I come to Kentucky, I take in all the country air and love seeing all the green fields in every direction I look. Life seems slower and simpler. One of my favourite things about Kentucky in summertime are the fresh vegetables on offer – usually from a relative’s garden or if not then I always enjoy a trip to the grocer stand run by the Mennonites (peaceful religious group similar to the Amish). Here, even hard core meat eaters seem to appreciate the vegetable side dishes just as much as the meat. Perhaps that outlook stems from growing up in a humble way. I know my my mother’s generation ate mainly beans and cornbread, fried potatoes, turnip greens, macaroni and tomatoes, homemade pickles, and fresh corn. Once a week they might have had a chicken.
Actually the corn isn’t quite at its best here (mid June) yet. Later on in the summer, it really comes into its own. And when that happens it feels wrong to eat it any other way than straight off the cob. Especially the peaches and cream variety with both the white and yellow kernels. So I thought of making this salad now because you still get the great flavor and it doesn’t matter if the cobs are a little small and rough around the edges.
Sweet corn, salty feta cheese and juicy cherry tomatoes are a perfect match. I personally love the dressing with lime juice.
Looking for more sides like this? Try this Crunchy and Fresh Broccoli Pea Salad.
Here is your corn salad recipe:
- 6 ears of corn
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil or mint leaves, chopped
- Chives or 1 Spring Onion, Chopped
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Rice Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar or Lime Juice
- Salt and Pepper
- To char the corn: clean and wash the corn, trying to get as many of the silk fibres off as possible. Rub the corn all over with butter, salt and pepper generously. Heat a large skillet or barbecue grill. cook the corn for about 10- 15 minutes, turning over every few minutes. Let some dark marks appear on the corn before turning. If getting too dark and burned, then turn the heat down all the way. Set aside to cool.
- For the salad: Cut the kernels off of each corn cob by holding upright and scraping down with a sharp knife near to the cob.
- Place in a bowl with the tomatoes, onion/chives and feta.
- Por over the dressing ingredients and add the mint/basil. Stir to combine.