This Crunchy and Fresh Broccoli Pea Salad is one of my all time favourite recipes! That’s because it has every desirable element covered: crunchy, creamy, fresh, tangy and sweet.
I love that the broccoli and peas remain raw. I don’t think I would ever enjoy eating a raw plain piece of broccoli, but when chopped finely and topped with a delicious dressing it becomes mouth watering.
This salad has many layers of texture, including crispy bacon bits and slivered almonds, chewy crasins and a nice creamy sharpness from some shredded cheddar cheese.
This recipe could be a great way to get veggie-phobes to eat their greens. Raw greens at that! No need to worry about the dressing, as it is made lighter here by using half mayo and half yoghurt. A touch of maple syrup for sweetness, rather than sugar.
Looking for more sides like this? Try this Charred Corn and Feta Salad. I served these two dishes for my mom’s 68th birthday pool party this June when I came over from Australia to visit her in Kentucky.
Here is your Broccoli Pea Salad recipe:
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 small 350g bag of frozen baby peas
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup turkey bacon bits (or just crumbled bacon)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (crasins)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds (or sunflower seeds)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Let the peas defrost in a large bowl.
- Tear the broccoli florets into small pieces and add to the peas. Discard the stalks (or chop to blend into green smoothies. Or give to the rabbits in your backyard!)
- Mix up the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the broccoli and peas. Mix well.
- Sprinkle over the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.