If you are in need of cheering up, I suggest making this sweet potato salad. The colours of orange and yellow feel so pretty and fun as the cubes of sweet potato and kernels of corn tumble into the bowl together. Even better than the bright colours is the vibrant marmalade dressing which tastes so fresh, tangy and sweet.
This healthy sweet potato salad is the perfect accompaniment to some grilled chicken or steak. However the addition of earthy black beans and sharp crumbles of feta cheese really make this a dish that could be enjoyed completely on its own as much as a side. I had our leftovers in a wrap sandwich with a yoghurt dressing and think I enjoyed it even more that way.
I’m very happy I discovered that marmalade is really delicious used like this in recipes. To me it is actually much better than on toast for breakfast. Does anyone actually still like marmalade on toast, anyway? The only sad thing is now that jar of marmalade that sat in the back of the fridge for a year or more is almost gone. I will definitely buy some more though to make this again. And also to use as a marinade for this Marmalade Pork Tenderloin.
Here is the recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato Salad:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 corn cobs, cooked and kernels cut off
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ packet feta cheese (1/2 cup), crumbled
- Several sprigs each of fresh cilantro (coriander), mint and parsley - chopped
- 1 tbsp marmalade
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes in the oven to roast for 30 minutes at 350F/180C.
- Allow to cool and then place in a large bowl with the other salad ingredients.
- Stir together the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the salad. Mix well.