These black beans are made lighter than usual with the addition of chopped carrot, zucchini, celery and onion. Combined with bacon, garlic, cumin and coriander and a finish of fresh lime – they are so flavoursome!
Black beans and rice are very comforting. The first time I had them I was hooked!
Inspired by scenes from the summer Olympics, I wanted to create a Brazilian inspired meal. To be honest, I haven’t been to Brazil. But I do love to sample food from around the world. Probably more than any other pastime. So of course I do my research when trying out new recipes, I think it is important to be authentic. However I do gather that black beans and rice is not a fine dining kind of dish. Its rustic. So the addition of the other vegetables may not be 100% authentic but I think that is perfectly ok with this type of food. I was very glad I did, because we all loved the flavour of this dish!
These black beans and veggies are even better warmed up the next day. If there are picky eaters in your house, you could try hiding them in quesadillas with cheese. All kids seem to love quesadillas! These black beans do have chopped bacon which adds a nice smokiness. However that can easily be omitted and the vegetables changed depending on who you are cooking for and what needs to be used up in the fridge.
Try these Coconut Milk and Lime Shrimp Espetinhos (Brazilian Skewers) to go along with your black beans, veggies and rice. Or looking for a fresh and crunchy vegetable side dish? Try this Honey Lime Raw Vegetable Side Salad.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pieces of bacon, cut into strips
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- ½ cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of half a lime
- several springs cilantro leaves, chopped
- Cook your rice while you start the black beans.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan until melted. Add the bacon, onion, celery, carrots and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, garlic and spices and saute for a few minutes more.
- Add the beans and chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil and let bubble for another 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced and thickened.
- Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add the lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over the rice.