This is a zucchini side dish that tastes like pizza. There really isn’t much more to say there. Low in carbohydrates but high in flavour, the juicy zucchini melts in your mouth while the melted cheese oozes all around the herb covered tomatoes. Gorgeous!
This recipe came from my eldest sister, Kathy, who is also a keen cook in our family. I put in a couple of additional ingredients, mainly to dial up the pizza flavour even more. A sprinkling of fennel seed always hints at pizza because its one of the spices in Italian sausage or pepperoni. I also added the fresh basil, and that was mainly so I could use Caprese in the name in a nod to the delicious salad of mozzarella, fresh tomato and basil. But so glad I did, because the flavour of the basil is not to be missed! You know those ingredients are going to pair well together.
We served this for a friend and his 3 year old son, so of course we didn’t miss the opportunity to fool the kids and just went ahead and called this “pizza”. It was a success! I think Oscar and his chum each had at least 2 bites each. And I’d call that a success in that we managed to get 3 year olds to try zucchini. Feeding kids can be so hit or miss. I think the key is not to sweat it too much and just keep offering “adult food” at every meal.
You’ve got to love a delicious recipe that is also very simple. Especially because you very likely have all of these ingredients on hand in your cupboard.
- 6 Zucchini
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- scattering salt and pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning*
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- 16 basil leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375C/180F and line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Slice the zucchini down the middle. Slice some skin off of the bottom, so that they rest flat on the tray. Arrange them in a row on the baking tray.
- Drizzle olive oil, add salt and pepper.
- Slice the tomatoes into slices and lay on zucchini. Onto the tomatoes, add onion, garlic powders, Italian seasoning, fennel seed, then 2 basil leaves on each slice. Finally top with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melting, bubbly and browned on top.