This winter salad is sure to cheer you up when there aren’t many hours of sunshine in the long winter days. It is sweet from roasted carrots and parsnips, crunchy and fresh from a green apple, some cilantro and some chopped nuts and seeds.
All of a sudden you realize several days have gone by and you haven’t been outside in the sunshine once – heading out to work in the morning in the dark and then getting home after dark. For me, that is the worst part of wintertime. I am a sun worshipper. I hate the feeling of being cold – I love wearing next to nothing in the summertime and simply slipping on my flip flops to head out the door. I hate putting on layer after layer, tying my clunky boot laces and adding on hats, gloves and scarves. Try doing that routine with 2 little wriggling boys also! Arghh!!
This salad is exactly what you need when the days get shorter. It has roasted carrots and parsnips: the best winter veggies of them all. I love roasting vegetables. I rarely now eat them any other way. Roasting imparts so much more flavour. It seems to concentrate the flavour and bring out sweetness. Plus, I love the crunchy edges you get when roasting.
I decided to add some freshness with a chopped apple, some cilantro and a crunchy topping of some toasted nuts. Wow! The combination of all of these ingredients sang to me! Until previously, I had no idea that apples were so healthy. We all know the phrase “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”, but apparently it really does? This amazing, in-depth article on apples from online wellness magazine Well-Being Secrets tells just how many health benefits this ordinary fruit has!
My salad all comes together with a creamy dressing of half mayo, half yogurt. I always mix mayonnaise with yogurt – not only is it lighter in calories, it has a lighter and fresher taste with I prefer.
Would you like to see more simple and healthy side dish salads? Try Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Marmalade Dressing, Crunchy and Fresh Broccoli Pea Salad or Root Vegetable and Quinoa Hash, Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Buttermilk Dressing, or Warm Lentil Salad with Roasted Beets.
Here is your recipe for Winter Sunshine Salad:
- 3 carrots
- 5-6 parsnips
- 1 red onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green apple
- 2 green onions, sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- handful cilantro (coriander)
- handful chopped nuts and seeds
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F/180C. Cut the carrots, onion and parsnips into quarters and place in a roasting tray. Cut the top off of the head of garlic and place in the tray. Drizzle some olive oil over the top and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once to turn everything and make sure the onions aren't sticking. After 30 minutes, take the garlic out and let cool. Return the pan to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Place your nuts and seeds in a small baking dish to toast in the oven for the last 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make a dressing with the mayo, yoghurt, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice the apple into quarters then finely into slices.
- Once cooled slightly, toss the vegetables with the apple, cilantro and dressing. Pile into a serving bowl and top with the nuts/seeds and some more cilantro.