Did you know that cauliflower rice is easier, faster AND tastier than normal rice? It gets perfectly fluffy in 5 minutes cooking time. And it breaks down in seconds in a food processor.
I am a total convert for cauliflower rice now. For one, its easier AND tastier than normal rice. And it has virtually zero carbs. Its fluffy, has a lovely bite to it and cooks in 5 minutes! One of my friends even told me that she didn’t tell her husband they were having cauliflower and he didn’t know the difference!
It took me a while to try it because I thought it was just another one of these health fads that actually was faffy and complicated to make, and didn’t taste or feel as good as the real thing. I was wrong! Cauliflower is actually a pretty soft vegetable, so breaks down very easily in your blender/food processor. It takes me only a few pulses to break it down into ‘rice’ Then, you simply fry it in oil or butter. In about 5 minutes, it softens up perfectly.
4. Add flavour.
Cauliflower rice takes on other flavours very well. Here are a few other flavour combinations:
- Garlic, mushrooms, spinach and parmesan
- Turmeric, pine nuts, flaked almonds, cilantro and raisins
- Stir-fried with carrots, peas, ginger, garlic and soy sauce
- Peas, asparagus, mint, parsley, lemon zest
Do you have any more ideas? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- Cut or tear the cauliflower head into big chunks and place in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until the consistency of rice or cous cous.
- In a frying pan, heat the butter or oil, then dump out the cauliflower. Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.