I know Santa is going to love getting his salty/sweet thing on this Christmas Eve when he visits our house, with these Snack Attack Marshmallow Popcorn Balls. These are just like ooey gooey rice crispy treats, but with salted popcorn as the base and little green and red holiday M&Ms added. A perfect snack for Santa.
Another great thing about this recipe: only 4 ingredients. I got so excited about making them that I forgot to add the butter to the picture below. But all you need is some popcorn, butter, marshmallows, and mini holiday M&Ms.
There are a few tricks to making these and working with melted marshmallows. Firstly, don’t skimp on the marshmallow. You want quite a high ratio of marshmallow to popcorn to make these stick together well and just be full of marshmallow-y goodness. Now is not the time to be substituting for healthy ingredients, or trying to skimp on the marshmallow to cut back on sugar. I was tempted as I’m often trying to make healthier treats, but I came to my senses. Its Christmas!
Pop your popcorn first, and allow to cool slightly. Then, you can make them two ways – either in the microwave or on the stove top. Another key to making these easier to handle is to let the marshmallows and the butter melt together slowly. Heat too fast and the marshmallow will be harder to work with. If you use the microwave, melt the marshmallows and butter on medium for 3 minutes, and stir after each minute. On the stove top, just use a low heat and keep stirring. It only takes 5 minutes or so.
Pour the popcorn into the melted marshmallow, and stir well. Once cooled a little, sprinkle over half of the M&Ms into the mix. Wet your hands (makes it easier to handle), then form into balls. While still warm, lightly press the rest M&Ms on the top where needed, so they stick into the balls.
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels, or 5-6 cups popped corn
- ½ cup butter
- 150g/3cups marshmallows
- 1 tube mini holiday M&Ms
- Pop the popcorn according to pack instructions. I find ⅓ cup of kernels makes enough for 12 balls. Make sure the popcorn is salted for salty sweet heaven!
- In the microwave or on the stove top, slowly bring together the butter and marshmallows until a pouring consistency.
- Pour the popcorn into the marshmallow cream. Stir well to mix.
- Pour over half of the M&Ms, then form into balls. (Wet your hands with water to make it easier to handle)
- Lightly press the rest of the M&Ms into the top where needed.