This is one of the best side dishes Ive come across this year. It’s so simple and delicious! The creamy sesame dressing is insanely good. Perfect served along side BBQ chicken, pork or fish, stir-frys or rice dishes.
I took the kids for sushi one evening when my husband was travelling for work. That time of day, 5pm til bedtime is probably my least favourite when flying solo as a parent. Just when you’re feeling drained from the day and want to kick back and relax with a glass of wine, you have to go into overdrive with dinner, cleaning food off the floor, baths, picking up toys including a sea of dropped leggos flung into every corner of the house. Nicknamed the ‘witching hour’ because for some reason kids also seem to go MENTAL at this time. Crying, whining, falling down in dramatic tantrums, clinging at shirt tails, refusing to eat – I could go on! So going out to dinner at least got us out of the house during this time. Kids seem to love sushi and its really family friendly so always a safe bet.
I saw this Spinach with Sesame Dressing on the menu and decided to try it. It turned out to be the best thing I had that evening. It was refreshing and cold, and the spinach was wilted and piled in a neat pile on top of this scrumptious sesame dressing in the bottom of the bowl. I couldn’t get enough! The more I tasted, I was sure I could easily recreate this at home.
The star of the show here is that unctuous, creamy dressing. (Ive been waiting for years to use that word) This would be delicious on any salad, not just in this recipe. Plus its always good to make your own dressings and avoid all those additives and preservatives, not to mention save loads of money.
This is a great recipe for entertaining, because it is served cold you can get it done earlier in the day and then just leave it in the fridge until needed. BOOM! I dolloped out my dressing on a pretty long tray and then served my greens on top, making sure the dressing was peeking out from underneath. Then sprinkled over sesame seeds. It got raving reviews from my BBQ guests!
Like this side dish? Also check out these Easy 3 Ingredient Beansprouts. Both these are low carb!
Here is your recipe for Wilted Greens Salad with Sesame Dressing:
- For the dressing:
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp yuzu or lime juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp mayonaise
- For the greens:
- 3-4 bunches greens: spinach, bok choy, chinese broccoli leaf, etc.
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Make the dressing. Mix all ingredients together well in a jar. Set aside in the fridge.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Separate the stems from the leaves and roughly chop the stems into small pieces. Add the stems to the water for about 5 minutes, then add the leaves. Cook for a further minute, or until wilted. Drain and add to some ice water.
- Once cool, pick up the greens in handfuls and squeeze out excess moisture. Add to a bowl and add 1 tbsp of dressing. Mix well.
- Dollop the dressing onto the bottom of a large bowl or platter (or in individual bowls). Pile the greens on top.