My, oh my. These little easy no bake bars are made of pure peanut buttery heaven. With a little hit of chocolate in every bite. Soft orange jewels of chopped dried apricot add a burst of sweet and sour, and a very pleasing crunchy chew comes from super healthy buckwheat kernels and shredded coconut. I could survive on these!
I’m a fool for healthy desserts lately. There are so many great recipes out there on the web now. And with the news is out that sugar is the cause of so many health issues, why would you want to pack yourself full of sugar when there are so many great alternatives? For me, it gets hard to always choose healthy when I’m out and about, but at home I think it’s great to make the effort and have healthy snacks on hand.
This healthy peanut butter rocky road recipe couldn’t be easier, too. You gotta love no bake recipes! Well, there is one step where you need heat: Add the rice malt syrup and peanut butter in a pot over a medium heat, stirring to mix together. As soon as it comes to the boil, add in the rest of the ingredients, which are chopped apricots, buckwheat kernels, chocolate chips. Stir quickly to mix together (but not too much so the chocolate doesn’t melt in completely and still has a swirl look) and then pour into your pan. Chill for 3 hours and cut into small squares. YUM!
I love the crunchy texture that buckwheat provides in these bars. It reminds me of Rice Krispies – yet, this is one of the healthiest foods in the world! Buckwheat is not a grain, actually a seed. That means it is gluten free. It is high in protein and fiber and has tons of nutrients. I’ve been putting it in my granola, recipe here. Also check out these delicious Reece’s copy cat Crunch Bars.
I used this Le Creuset small rectangular stoneware dish, which is the perfect size for making no bake treats like this. If you don’t have a small dish like this, though, you could press the mixture into one end of a tray.
Now I must go and have one of these with a cup of tea!
Here is your recipe for No Bake Healthy Peanut Butter Rocky Road:
- ¾ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup rice malt syrup
- ⅓ cup buckwheat
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup dried apricots, quartered
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- Grease and line a small baking dish with wax paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the buckwheat, chocolate chips, apricot pieces and coconut. Set aside.
- Add the peanut butter and the rice malt syrup to medium sized saucepan and stir over a medium heat. As soon as it comes to the boil, take off the heat and add in the other ingredients. Fold everything together a few times, but be careful not to allow the chocolate chips to melt in all the way.
- Pour immediately into your dish and smooth out the top. Cover with more wax paper then place in the fridge for 2 or more hours until firm.
- Cut into bars or squares and store in the fridge.