These Fried Green Tomato Soft Tacos with Sriracha Ranch Dressing is absolutely one of the best meals I’ve eaten this year. The classic southern delicacy of crunchy, moreish fried green tomatoes meets a soft tortilla wrap, crisp salad and spicy yet cool Sriracha Ranch Dressing. All the feels!
This dinner though. Seriously, we ate in silence, it was that good. All of us. This was the first time for the kids having Fried Green Tomatoes and they gobbled them down (I think perhaps they may have thought they were chicken nuggets!) To me, these tacos now take the crown over the fish taco craze… I want Fried Green Tomato Tacos now, every time!
Ever wondered what to do with green tomatoes? If you see them in your local shop or farmers market (or grown yourself), give this recipe a go: you won’t be sorry!If you’ve never had fried green tomatoes, let me say that they are kind of unique and actually a little hard to describe! Firstly, they don’t taste at all like normal tomatoes. They are crunchy on the outside thanks to the cornmeal crust, firm yet tender on the inside and have a slight tangy flavour and a soft mellowness. Hmm. I’m kind of struggling to describe that very well – you are just going to have to try them! They are an absolute southern US delicacy. I often had them at family gatherings growing up.
You basically make fried green tomatoes in the same way you would crumb fish: dip in flour, then egg, then cornmeal or polenta. They only need about 30 seconds – 1 minute per side in hot oil until golden brown and crunchy. Drain on paper towel.
The dressing takes minutes to whip up – just take any Creamy dressing (or make this Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing) – you could even simply use plain mayo and yogurt mixed together -and squirt some sriracha hot sauce in. I used about a teaspoon of Sriracha to half cup of Ranch. Its like pleasure pain. Hot, tangy, yet somehow cooling as well. Incredible on sandwiches!
Any salad would be great with these tacos – crisp lettuce, cabbage coleslaw, slices of cucumber. Or make what we topped them with – Black Bean & Corn Salad
Black Bean & Corn Salad Ingredients:
1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels, 1 can of drained black beans, 2 finely chopped spring onions, 1 diced red pepper, juice of 1 lime, 1 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Instructions: Mix everything in a bowl and set aside until ready to serve with the tacos.
Here is your recipe for Fried Green Tomato Soft Tacos with Sriracha Ranch Dressing:
- 6-8 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup cornmeal or polenta
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- Salad of choice (see post for bonus recipe: Corn and Black Bean Salad)
- Corn or flour soft tortillas
- Make the dressing in advance by mixing together the Ranch dressing with the Sriracha. Set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes into 2cm thick slices, then cut in half again so they are half moon shapes.
- Place the flour, egg and polenta in separate bowls. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper to the polenta.
- Dip each tomato slice in the flour, then the egg, then the polenta. Set aside until almost ready to serve.
- Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan to come up about 2cm up the side. (The oil is hot enough when it sizzles when a crumb is dropped in.) Working in batches so as not to over crowd the pan, fry the tomatoes on both sides for about 1 minute until dark golden brown and crisp at the edges.
- Drain on a plate covered in a paper towel, then cover with a tea towel or foil to keep warm until serving. (These may be warmed up in hot oven for 10 minutes)
- Warm the tortillas on a grill or in the microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with the fried green tomatoes, salad of choice and a drizzle of Sriracha Ranch Dressing.