Lately I’ve been experimenting with making hot breakfast cereals without using oats. And I only wish that I had tried this sooner – these types of porridge are so yummy! I love the slightly different texture that these other grains/seeds can add, whereas oats always seem kind of heavy and claggy to me.In this recipe, I used a mixture of quinoa, millet, buckwheat and teff. You can mix it up in any combination or use only what you have. If you want to avoid grains, you could use buckwheat and/or millet, as these are actually seeds rather than grains. All of these ingredients are gluten-free and packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Use any combination of quinoa, teff, millet and buckwheat you like. (Millet and buckwheat are actually seeds if you prefer to avoid grains).
The combination of chocolate and coconut is one of my all time favourites! They just go perfectly together and the coconut milk in this recipe adds the perfect amount of healthy fats to make this breakfast taste amazing and helps you to feel fuller longer. Kids are more likely to try this because of the chocolate factor of course! The taste is light chocolate (not too dark) and its nice and creamy.
The toppings are what take this porridge to the next level in my eyes, but you could just enjoy this chocolatey breakfast straight up like it is, if you prefer. Topping wise I like coconut flakes, cacao nibs, frozen blueberries, banana chips (or sliced fresh banana) and a dollop of peanut butter. All the best tastes and combinations right here!
- 1 400ml Can Organic Coconut Milk
- ½ Cup Mix of Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet and/or Teff
- pinch salt
- 1 Heaped Tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 Tbsp Raw Honey or Maple Syrup
- Toppings of Choice
- Heat the coconut milk and the grains/seeds together in a pan until simmering. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the porridge is soft and creamy.
- Add a pinch of salt, cacao powder, and honey/maple syrup. Stir until incorporated. Add a little water or more coconut milk if the porridge is too thick (it will also thicken as it cools).
- Eat warm with toppings of choice.